|Destination Type: Wildlife|
The very sound of the word thekkady conjures up images of elephants, unending chains of hills and spice scented plantations. In the periyar forest of thekkady is one of the finest wildlife reserves in india, and spread across the entire district are picturesque plantations and hill towns that hold great opportunities for treks and mountain walks.
· By Air : The Nearest Airport is Madurai Airport 140 kms & Kochi Airport 155 kms & Trivandrum Airport 205 kms
· By Rail : The Nearest Railway Station is Kottayam 108 kms & Kodai Road 123 kms & Alappuzha 140 kms
· By Raod : You can easily get regular buses to Thiruvananthapuram from other major cities of the country.
· The Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary : Lying close to the plantations, in the rich jungles of periyar in thekkady is one of the world's most fascinating natural wildlife reserves - the periyar wildlife sanctuary, spread across 777 sq km, of which 360 sq.km is thick evergreen forest, the periyar wildlife sanctuary was declared a tiger reserve in 1978. The splendid artificial lake formed by the mullaperiyar dam across the periyar river adds to the charm of the park. This is the only sanctuary in india where you can have the unique experience of viewing wildlife at close quarters from the safety of a boat on the lake. The greatest attraction of periyar , however, are the herds of wild elephants that come down to play in the lake. You can also see wild Elephant, gaur, sambar deer, tiger, jungle cat, sloth bear and wild boar which can be sighted from the boats also 265 species of birds including migrants the hornbill, stork, woodpecker, kingfisher, raptor, cormorant, grackle etc.Kumily
· Kumily : 4 kms from thekkady this plantation town, closely associated with thekkady, is situated on the outskirts of the periyar sanctuary. An important shopping centre and spice trade centre.
· Murikkady: 5 kms from thekkady. Washed in fresh spice scented air, murikkady is a panorama of cardamom, coffee and pepper plantations.
· Vandanmedu : 25 kms from thekkady, this is one of the world's largest auction centres for cardamom. A walk through the sprawling cardamom plantations of vandanmedu is a heady experience.
Visit Periyar Tiger Reserve , Green Park Ayurvedic & Spices Plantation, Mudra Cultural Centre &